The deadline for entering Q School falls at 5pm tomorrow, and former World No 2 Tony Knowles has entered the event as believes he can still succeed on the pro tour.
The 56-year-old from Bolton will take his place along with over 100 other players at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield in May, for the event which will have 12 two-year tour cards up for grabs.
The four semi-finalists from each of three tournaments will be handed a place on the pro circuit for the next two seasons.
Knowles, who shot to fame in 1982 when he beat Steve Davis 10-1 in the first round of the World Championship and went on to win two ranking events in his 1980s prime, said: “The circuit is going in the right direction and the game is going world-wide. This is a great opportunity, especially with the two year tour card on offer.
“I know there are a lot of very good young players now but maybe I can still teach them a few tricks. Steve Davis and Jimmy White are still going strong on the main tour so I decided to give it a go.
“I played in Q School last year but I didn’t give myself enough time to practise because I had a lot of other work going on,” added Knowles, who owns a bar in the Lake District. “That work is nearly finished now so I will have a lot more time to devote to playing snooker. I want to do it as a way of relaxing more than anything, but I want to give myself the chance to play in professional events.”
There is still time to enter Q School as the deadline is TOMORROW (Friday March 30) at 5pm. To enter go to www.worldsnooker.com and click ‘Online Entries’ on the home page under ‘Featured’.
Just to re-cap on the key reasons for playing in Q School:
- It's a TWO YEAR TOUR CARD to all 12 players who qualify from Q School.
- Prize money is increasing rapidly and is set to go over £7 million next season.
- It will be played under professional conditions at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield - the perfect preparation for the main tour.
- There will be three separate events, so that's three bites of the cherry. And you don't need to win an event, just get to the semi-finals and you've got the two-year tour card!
- The new Q School ranking list sees players earning one point for every frame won. During the main tour season, should any of the tournament draws fall short then the field will be topped up with the highest ranked players from the Q-School list.
DON'T FORGET, THE FINAL DEADLINE IS MARCH 30, GET YOUR ENTRY IN NOW!
For full terms and conditions and more details about Q School go to www.worldsnookerqschool.com